Central Texas Rail History Center
The history of the railroads in Flatonia lives at the Central Texas Rail History Center.The Center houses many historical artifacts, model train displays and photographs from when ‘rail was king’ in Flatonia.The Center is dedicated to the preservation and education of Flatonia’s rich railroad history. The Central Texas Rail History Center is open every Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – noon and 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.Group and special tours are welcomed.
Flatonia Rail Park
Located across the street from the Central Texas Rail History Center is Flatonia’s Historic Rail Park.One of the features of the historic park is
Tower No. 3.Built in 1902 by Southern Pacific Railroad Company, the switching tower was originally located one-quarter mile west of downtown Flatonia at the interlocker, a junction of north, south, east and west tracks.The tower was moved from the interlocker in the mid-1990’s to its current location at the corner of Penn and South Main Street.The tower is available for tours during normal business hours of the Central Texas Rail History Center.In addition to Tower No. 3, Southern Pacific Caboose No. 4743 is also located in the park.The bay-window rail car dates back to the early 0000 and is in the initial stages of restoration.Group or special tours of Tower No. 3 and SP Caboose 4743 are available during the week by calling the Central Texas Rail History Center.
Flatonia Photo Pavilion
Located on the western edge of downtown Flatonia, the Photo Pavilion is a safe and relaxing environment for train watching.The pavilion is located at the interlocker and sits in the approximate location of Flatonia’s 1929 – 1976 passenger depot.The pavilion provides a panoramic view of trains traveling in all directions.It’s open seven days a week and is free to the public.